Thursday, May 17, 2012

Near Death

I was fortunate enough to take part in the "Every 15 Minutes" program at my school yesterday and today.

For anyone who doesn't know about the program it visits high schools to teach students what driving under the influence can do to impact your life and others. Several kids including myself were chosen to be "dead" for 24 hours leaving friends and family to feel the loss.

During the program I was told that 1 in 3 is or will be affected by someone driving under the influence in some way. I didn't think this could be a real statistic, especially for kids at my young age.

I was proven wrong.

When talking with the other victims (who are fellow high school students) I began to notice that so many people I see everyday have had traumatic experiences with their immediate family and alcohol.

I have had my own share of people abusing alcohol in my family, but I have to remember there is always someone hurting worse than me out there.

Think of the people you see daily, thy may be at school, work, or church. A few of those people have been hurt somehow by a lack of judgement begin the wheel.

I will definitely strive to not be a case of disaster behind the wheel. More importantly, I'd like to be able to help people who deal with this pain. Hopefully I can find my position in this someday.

For more information on this amazing program please visit:

http://www.every15minutes.com/enter

No comments:

Post a Comment